Beyond Fest and the American Cinematheque announced today that they are partnering for the return of the sophomore festival, Beyond Fest, featuring the best in world genre programming, September 25th – October 4th, 2014 at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. I’m very proud to say that ShockTillYouDrop has a small part in this year’s event. Not only are we collaborating on programming the short film selections, but Shock is co-presenting The Canal and The Town That Dreaded Sundown (both free screenings!).
Dedicated to delivering the elite in horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and badass cinema, this year’s Beyond Fest programming reflects a globally diverse and eclectic mix of premieres, rare repertory screenings and special events, all of which are anchored in bringing firsts to the community of genre fans in Los Angeles.
Beyond Fest has also partnered with Robert Rodriguez’s El Rey Network as its presenting sponsor, a partnership that will make much of the festival’s programming free to creative makers and film fans alike.
“The response was so great last that we knew we had to bring Beyond Fest back, so much so that we immediately started planning this installment,” said Christian Parkes, co-founder of Beyond Fest. “We challenged ourselves to build on the foundation we laid and to create something that is a celebration for the audience as much as the films on the screen. Our partnership with El Rey Network is indicative of this as it allows us to share a brave, new generation of filmmakers with the film community of Los Angeles.”
Here’s what is on the roster this season. Keep an eye on the official site for ticket information and more!
- THE WORLD OF KANAKO / KAWAKI – LA Premiere – FREE SCREENING 2014dir. Tetsuya Nakashima Japan118 minutes
- THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN presented by Shock Till You Drop and Blumhouse Productions – FREE SCREENING 2014 dir. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon United States 85 minutes
- FIGHT CLUB presented by Backstory 1999 dir. David Fincher United States 139 minutes FIGHT CLUB author Chuck Palahniuk and screenwriter Jim Uhls in person
- STARRY EYES – LA Premiere Dir. Kevin Kölsch, Dennis Widmyer United States 98 minutes Cast and crew in person
- POSSESSION 1981dir. Andrezj Zulawski France / West Germany124 minutes
- V/H/S VIRAL + V/H/S Shorts presented by Bloody Disgusting – LA Premiere dir. Todd Lincoln, Nacho Vigalondo, Marcel Sarmiento, Gregg Bishop, Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead Multiple Countries 98 minutes Cast and crew in person
- 20,000 DAYS ON EARTH 2014 dir. Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard UK 97 minutes
- TOKYO TRIBE – LA Premiere 2014 dir. Sion Sono Japan116 minutes
- SNOWPIERCER – A Vis a Vis Event presented by the French Consulate and Meltdown Comics 2013 dir. Bong Joon-ho South Korea 126 minutesSnowpiercer creator Jean-Marc Rochette and DC Comics Publisher Jim Lee in person
- HORNS presented with Fantastic Fest – LA Premiere 2013dir. Alexandre Aja United States / Canada123 minutes
- A Night at the Movies with THE MELTDOWN WITH JONAH AND KUMAIL featuring THE MONSTER SQUAD 1987dir. Fred Dekker United States82 minutes Jonah Ray, Kumail Nanjiani, Fred Dekker and guests in person
- TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE presented by Death Waltz Records with live re-score by Antoni Maiovvi & Umberto 1974 dir. Tobe HooperUnited States 88 minutes
- HOUSE OF THE DEVIL presented by Death Waltz Records 2009 dir. Ti West United States 95 minutes Cast and crew in person
- HALLOWEEN 4K REMASTER presented by Humans From Earth 1978 dir. John Carpenter United States 90 minutes John Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis in person
- ONLY GOD FORGIVES 2013 dir. Nicolas Winding Refn Denmark / France 90 minutes Nicolas Winding Refn in person
- MY LIFE DIRECTED BY NICHOLAS WINDING REFN – LA Premiere 2014 dir. Liv Corfixen United States 58 minutes Liv Corfixen and Nicolas Winding Refn in person
THE PEOPLE’S NETWORK THEATRE / SPIELBERG THEATRE:
- ABC’S OF DEATH 2 – LA Premiere – Free screening 2014 dir. Larry Fessenden, Marvin Kren, Todd Rohal, Jim Hosking, Julien Maury & Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Gibney, Soichi Umezawa, Lancelot Imasuen, Jerome Sable, Robert Boocheck, Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado, Bill Plympton, Rodney Ascher, Erik Matti, Juan Moreno, Steven Kostanski, Alejandro Brugues, E.L. Katz, Julian Barratt, Hajime Ohata, Vincenzo Natali, Chris Nash, Jen & Sylvia Soska, Dennisison Ramalho, Robert Morgan, Kristina Buozyte and Bruno SamperMultiple Countries125 minutesCast and crew in person
- THE EDITOR – Free Screening – LA Premiere 2014 dir. Matthew Kennedy, Adam BrooksCanada 102 minutes
- HYENA – Free Screening – LA Premiere 2014 dir. Gerard Johnson United Kingdom 112 min
- FUTURE SHOCK! THE STORY OF 200AD - Free Screening – LA Premiere 2014dir. Paul Goodwin United Kingdom 100 min
- LOST SOUL – THE DOOMED JOURNEY OF RICHARD STANLEY’S ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU – Free Screening – LA Premiere2014dir. David Gregory United Kingdom 97 min
- R100 – Free Screening 2013 dir. Hitoshi Matsumoto Japan100 minutes Lindsay Kay Hayward in person
- NORWAY – Free Screening – LA Premiere 2014 dir. Yannis Veslemes Greece 73 minutes
- THE CANAL – Free Screening – LA Premiere 2014 dir. Ivan Kavanagh Ireland 92 minutes Presented by Shock Till You Drop